Find your creative eye and develop your confidence to make an impact on the world through your craft. You will become well-rounded professionals within a Christian worldview and receive training in photography and filmmaking. Upon completion of this program, you will have a professional print portfolio to kickstart your career. The program culminates with a 14-day practicum where you will be working with real clients in an International/ National context. Past groups have traveled to Tibet, Ecuador, and Golden, BC.
This program aspires to ignite and fan the flames of creativity in those interested in digital media. Starting from the foundations of communication and storytelling, this program not only strives for excellence in practical skills but encourages students to find their own creative voice and way that they can impact the world. They are guided from the fundamentals to advanced techniques in photography, professional photograph printing and filmmaking/video production, while also learning real-world applications and marketing. Students finish the program with a professional printed portfolio and website to showcase the work they create.
Additional Admissions Requirements
To be successful in the Digital Media program applicants need to have a basic skillset and talent in the areas of photography & filmmaking. In order to assess this, we ask applicants to submit a digital portfolio. The digital portfolio should include 5-10 items that display the applicant’s skills in the areas we teach (photography, filmmaking).
All courses are worth 3 credits unless otherwise indicated.
Bible & Theology (15 credits)
NT 112 Reading the Gospels & Acts
OT 112 Reading the Torah
OT 221 Reading the Historical Books
ST 100 The Christian Life
TH 100 Introduction to Christian Theology
Arts & Sciences (9 credits)
HF 111 Thinking & Writing
HF 115 Fundamentals of Storytelling
SS 170 Christianity in the 21st Century World
Digital Media (36 credits)
CM 368 Digital Media Practicum
DM 120 Introduction to Audio & Colour in Film (2 credits)
DM 130 Advanced Drone Operator (1 credit)
DM 134 Fundamentals of Filmmaking
DM 145 Fundamentals of Photography
DM 160/161/260/261 Fundamentals of Digital Media Business I – IV (4 credits)
DM 177 Portfolio 1 (1 credit)
DM 228 Motion Graphics and Effects (2.5 credits)
DM 234 Advanced Filmmaking (4.5 credits)
DM 236 Documentary Filmmaking
DM 242 Wedding Photography
DM 245 Advanced Photography
DM 246 Photo Retouching (2 credits)
DM 277 Portfolio 2 – Book/Website (1 credit)
The following course is an elective pre-approved by the Instructor and not required for the Digital Media Diploma:
*DM235 Advanced Film Production (3 credits)
Note: Courses may be under development to reflect changes and upgrades in technology and software. Actual courses may be slightly different than as published.
For course descriptions, see catalogue here.
• are sought-out professionals who are employable because they are well-rounded in both photography and filmmaking.
• are entrepreneurs who build businesses to serve the church and society with their creative skills.
• continue at Prairie and obtain a 4-year degree in a variety of majors including Business Administration.
In this digital age, media is an expanding field with many different opportunities to impact people. The training and portfolio gained through Prairie’s Digital Media program can open doors to career and ministry opportunities in North America or around the world!
*Please note: All hardware and software requirements are subject to change up until July 1 prior to the start of classes due to the importance of remaining current with industry standards *
First Year Students:
• Laptop: New or up to 2 year old MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro with at least 16GB of RAM and must have at least one usb-c port.
• Camera: Canon* DSLR or mirrorless body with at least HD 1080p video capabilities. We strongly recommend Canon’s full-frame bodies over crop-frame sensor cameras.
• Lens: Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS or EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS II lens is highly recommended.
• Intervalometer (if you do not have one built into your camera)
• Memory card reader (necessary only if there are no compatible ports on your laptop for the connection cord your camera uses)
• Student subscription of Capture One Pro
• Full License of Affinity Photo and Affinity Publisher
• Two 4 TB (minimum) external portable hard drives
• Tripod: one that can take both still and video heads
• Inexpensive 36″ collapsible Reflector
• One TB Solid State Drive
Second Year Students (in addition to first year requirements):
• Flash with built-in radio receiver
• Radio transmitter for flash
• Light stand: 8′ minimum
• 45″ Umbrella or 24″ soft box for flash photography
*Your Laptop must be one of the types listed – no exceptions made.
*The camera must be a Canon DSLR or have the ability to use an adaptor to accept Canon DSLR lenses as the college has a number of Canon compatible accessories that Digital Media students can take out on loan.
For our Tuition & Fee rates as well as Room and Board please see Fees & Financial Aid
Program Specific Costs:
Digital Media students are charged a $630 program fee. ($315 charged in Fall semester and $315 charged in the Winter semester). All 1st year students will have a Material fee of $625 charged in the Fall semester to cover the DaVinci Resolve Speed Editor and a Digital Media branded jacket. All 2nd year students have a Practicum Fee of $5000. ($2500 charged in the Fall semester and $2500 charged in the Winter semester).